Welcome to Family and Visitors

Saturday July 28, 2007
I am happy that you came. Please explore and post your comments about our Family Tree. I believe you will enjoy the results of my genealogical research. If you would like to submit any family stories or photos please contact me at my email rg67125@aim.com.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Hard to Find Census Record

Boy, my experience with subscription genealogical sites has been great but sometimes the transcription errors can send you on a desperate search. I have found all the census records for my Grandfather and Grandmother right up to 1930, the last available census. For all you "Campolongo Family" researchers, you may have had a really hard time finding that first census, the 1910 census. I searched and searched, put it aside, searched again. Nothing! After realizing how many times my Father's last name was mispelled, mispronounced and downright messed with over the years, I started searching for every single possible strange spelling I could come up with. The invaluable website Ellisisland.org helped me by listing all the possible variations of the "Campolongo" surname so I had a good frame of reference. After months of on and off searching for the 1910 census containing my Grandparents and my eldest Uncle Vincent my efforts finally produced results. I found an entry under "Liewanni Cambolonzo". Now, why I would even bother clicking on this entry just shows my passion or maybe obsession for finding the facts. Well, BINGO! It clearly read, to my eyes, Giovanni Campolongo, Antonette Campolongo, Vincent Campolongo. Who da thunk! I informed the website holding the electronic record about the error so now it may be easy to find. Look on line #86 to find the Campolongo entry. Here are all three census records:

1910 U.S. Census



1920 U.S. Census


1930 U.S. Census

1930 Census cont.





No comments: